One of the greatest benefits of orthodontic care is that everything we do is bespoke to ensure the best possible treatment. Today, our team at Innovative Orthodontics will answer the question: How do orthodontists create a custom treatment plan for each patient?
What Do Orthodontists Do?
Orthodontists are dental specialists. In many circumstances, you will be referred to an office like ours by your general dentist. As orthodontists, we specialize in treating issues like tooth alignment. Here are a few common reasons for a referral:
- Impacted Teeth
- Crooked Teeth
- Spacing Issues
Types of Treatment
- Metal braces are commonly chosen for young children, but they are just as dependable for adult patients, and their duration can vary, averaging around 18-22 months.
- Clear braces, also known as ceramic braces, fulfill the same purpose as metal braces, but the brackets blend more seamlessly with the color of your teeth, thanks to a polycrystalline ceramic material.
- We proudly provide Invisalign, a popular removable appliance typically reserved for adults and teenagers. This is one of the most discreet options for straightening teeth, with a wear duration of approximately eight to 20 months. A slightly different set is worn each week or two to guide teeth into their new positions.
A Typical Treatment Plan
It’s important to remember that every plan may be slightly different simply because no one has the same smile! But we can still give you an idea of what to expect since many of the steps remain consistent.
- Initial Assessment: We spend this time focused on your teeth, jaws, and facial structure. This means taking photos and x-rays.
- Diagnosis: This step is where we analyze the collected data and decide on the specific dental issue to correct, such as misalignments or overcrowding.
- Treatment Options/Planning: We’ll then draw up a plan of action, discussing options with you in-depth. We can answer your questions, discuss the pros and cons of different choices, or even discuss specialized treatment for more severe issues.
- Final Discussions: Our doctors will lay out a plan of the procedures needed, a general timeline, and potential challenges.
- Financial Planning: Innovative Orthodontics is committed to making treatment as accessible as possible. Payment plans will be discussed in advance, including factors like insurance and overall cost.
- Initiation of Treatment: Your first phase of treatment will depend on what we discuss, but could involve a first set of clear aligners or the application of braces.
- Monitoring and Adjustments: A key part of any treatment is visiting us regularly. We are able to monitor progress, make adjustments to appliances, and complete any repairs. Hopefully, you won’t face any orthodontic emergencies, but we’re here for you if you do.
- Completion and Retention: Once you finally finish your active treatment, we will move into the phase where retainers are worn to maintain your results.
- Follow-Up Care: We’ll maintain periodic follow-up appointments to make sure your new smile remains stable and to prevent any relapse.
There are a lot of variables to consider, of course, but here are a few additional factors we keep in mind when planning:
- Age of Patient: While children, teens, and adults can all receive orthodontic treatment, they vary quite a bit! For example, there are a lot of psychological considerations we take when working with children to ensure that they are comfortable, as well as partnering closely with parents or guardians to supervise them in our stead.
- Patient Preferences: In terms of the chosen appliance, there aren’t always going to be options. Certain conditions may strictly necessitate traditional braces, for example, even if a patient would prefer a subtle option like Invisalign. That being said, an option like ceramic braces could still be a compromise.
- Effective Communication: People usually don’t anticipate communication being one of the most crucial factors in any treatment plan. Imagine you’re given your first few weeks worth of Invisalign trays, and then we send you on your way. Good luck, thanks for stopping by! That wouldn’t work out too well. We are here to guide you every step of the way with these new tools you are being given.
Ready to Get Started?
Hopefully, this information leaves you a bit more confident in a potential orthodontic journey. At Innovative Orthodontics, we work closely with our patients to create successful results that last a long time! We have three awesome offices in Georgia: Savannah (912-800-0294), Rincon (912-800-0267), and Pooler (912-800-0541). We hope to see you soon!